Monday, May 28, 2012

Pedalling movies way to go

By Virginia Winder
Just biked through my first movie on a wind trainer.
My normal bike was set up in the lounge on a secure gadget that allows me to cycle normally, without moving. So I sat there watching Source Code, a 93-minute sci-fi thriller reminiscent of Ground Hog Day without the humour.
What a great way to train! I can choose whatever I want to watch because none of the family will want to be in there with me because of the noise.
Once again, it's the generosity of the extended Barnett family that's allowing me to do this. Bryce's son-in-law, Mick McBeth, has lent the wind trainer to me.
He gave me a free osteopath treatment last week too, before heading to the Olympics to look after the NZ triathlon team. I know it sounds like name dropping, but honestly, I'm still gobsmacked at the luck I've had on the way.
But it's all hard work from this end from now on.
Coach Clint has given me my training schedule and it is daunting, but doable, especially with the wind trainer and Contours gym at hand.
It's the dark, not the bad weather that's the problem. Biking is a bit scary because cars might not see me and I'm a bit paranoid about turning an ankle in a pothole or on a stone.
"Why don't you get night vision goggles, Mum?" suggested my helpful son. It's a thought. They wouldn't look any more ridiculous than the Batwoman sunglasses.
People are so helpful on this journey.
"You didn't mention sports bras for women in your story about running gear for half marathons," said Kelvin from Frontrunner on the phone. "We sell the best in the world."
Then he asked about my shoes. I mentioned about having plantar fasciitis and he said: "Bring in your old shoes and your new shoes, and we'll have a look."
He also said he'd look at my running style too.
Today I went to Lauren Hann for a sports massage and she was so inspiring. Not only is she a great therapist, she is also an ironwoman, who had so much advice to share.
We have already met actually and I mentioned her in an earlier blog. We chatted at the pool and I found her so encouraging, but I didn't know who she was then.
Lauren's advice today was that to reach a goal like a half ironman you have to be consistent with training and just keep going, steadily, regularly, day after day.
So I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment