Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Inspired by real thing at the Mount

By Virginia Winder
Haven't had a great food day and it's made me grumpy.
Had nachos for lunch because everyone else was having it and I was hungry. Not a great excuse, I know, but there it is.
As for dinner, I had a Thai takeaway and it was delicious, but once again I didn't choose the healthiest option from the board.
I'm not perfect, but because I have made such great choices lately I do feel a bit disappointed with myself.
Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.
I begin each morning with untoasted muesli soaked overnight and then throw in blueberries and whatever in-season fruit there is available. At the moment it's strawberries. Then I add yoghurt and some walnuts and get munching.
It's such a great start to the day - natural grains for slow-release energy and blueberries and walnuts for brain food.
On the exercise front, I have been greatly inspired.
At the weekend, Warren and I went to Mt Maunganui to watch the half-ironman.
When we first got there I was completely overwhelmed by all the bikes set up in the transition area. But where were all the athletes?
In the water!
They were already in Pilot Bay, where the men were wearing blue swimming caps; the women wearing pink. A friend says they look like lollies bobbing about and they do.
We watched all the changeovers, saw how people got on and off bikes, put their gear on, how long they took, found out about all the tricks of the triathlon transitions and soaked it all in.
I stood on the sidelines encouraging strangers and telling them how good they looked. "Don't feel it," or "You're lying," were some of the replies.
But they did look great, especially those who had been out there for more than five hours and still had a spring in their steps.
Instead of being put off by watching the race, which I'll be doing next year, I felt buoyed. "I can do this," I said quite often to my sidekick, who is also getting keen on triathlons himself.
There's nothing like watching the real thing to get inspired.
We stayed with our mates Susan and Glenn, who are also tri-hards. That sounds mean, but yes, they too are going through their own midlife exercise, let's-do-it-all phase. I won't call it a crisis like mine because they have always been lean.
My own exercise is going just fine.
Have been walk-running, doing a bit of body-surfing and went for a glorious bike ride today.
Reckon I'll be back in the pool tomorrow, at least doing kick work and drills with my good arm. My left shoulder is coming along, after all I did catch a couple of waves tonight. 
Another great thing has happened, I have stumbled upon an excellent masseur - a Czech man called Jan. I had my first massage on Monday and after he left my feet felt so good it was like walking on cushions.
So, apart from one not so great day of food, this health and fitness quest of mine is going extremely well.
Now I have a confession about the bike. When I went out today, I didn't wear my cleats. I went out wearing running shoes so I wasn't stuck to my bike and I felt much braver and more confident.
Think it will be awhile yet before I venture out clipped on to my bike.
One step at a time, eh? One step at a time...

Today, I:
Slept for 9 hours
Biked for 40 minutes (including a big hill)
Went bodysurfing at Oakura (big waves)
Worked for 2 hours
Drank 2 cups of coffee
Drank some water (but needed more)

No comments:

Post a Comment