Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wow - people are amazing

By Virginia Winder
When you're a kid, you have no idea about the road rules.
So the poor boy racing around the corner towards me on his scooter had no idea why a crazy lady on a red bike was screaming: "Go left, go left."
I was committed, you see and knew I'd hit him if he didn't move.
He didn't, so I slammed on my brakes and fell. Again.
I didn't hit him - the mother in me just couldn't do that.
Luckily, this part of the walkway has just been resealed so I fell on smooth concrete. No grazes, just bruises this time.
Why didn't I go right? Because it was a tight turn by the Fitzroy camp ground and while I could see Scooterboy in the mirror that has been so artfully placed to show oncoming traffic, the truth is I panicked. These clip-in bike shoes have got me a bit spooked. OK, I'm terrified.
"You can't keep saying that," my husband Warren says.
So, about three minutes before, I'd been biking along yell-singing out: "I'm brave, I'm fearless."
Don't worry, nobody else was around.
It was bravado of course and then bang, Scooterboy loomed.
He endured a gentle lecture about keeping left, but just stood there looking a bit baffled, probably wondering why the silly lady had fallen anyway. 
After he scooted off, my tough, mean husband made me get back on my bike and keep going.
I was all for going home.
But I got back on my undamaged (yes, pouting again) and oh what a glorious ride it was too!
There were so many people out on the coastal walkway on Tuesday morning - parents and kids on bikes, on tandem bikes, people of all ages wandering, power-walking, running, some with dogs and others pushing mountain buggies. My favourite was a guy on a skateboard with surfboard under his arm.
Last night I went for a fast walk home from The Most (100.4FM) after doing my radio show, Waxing Lyrical, and felt great. Even did a circuitous route via the walkway, energised by my latest favourite exercising song - Lonely Boy by The Black Keys.
The good news is my foot problem has improved greatly and I can walk without pain.
The bad news is that when I went to physio this morning, I immediately switched to shoulder treatment. My first fall before New Year appears to have strained my left rotator cuff because that's the side I fell on.
Annoyingly, that means swimming is out for a wee while, but I'm certain I'll recover incredibly quickly.
I love my swimming, especially with my niece Rebekah!
So that means I just have to focus on my biking and my walking.
That's the beauty of triathlon training; there are options.
Tonight, I walk/ran to Fitzroy Beach along the walkway. I didn't plan to run, but went with Camille, my French daughter, and she has such a fast stride I had to keep running to catch up and then of course I kept running to pass her. Then she'd run to pass me, so then I'd have to catch her up.
"Restraint," I could hear Coach Clint yelling in my head, even louder than The Black Keys, so I let her go in the end. Oh, OK, she cleaned me up!
Now, many of you will know there have been a couple of stories about KCL Property owner Bryce Barnett and myself in the Taranaki Daily News this week. The front page story is about our joint quest to fight obesity in Taranaki by leading from the front.
Since publishing on Tuesday, the response from people has been overwhelmingly supportive.
I have had phonecalls, emails, texts, Facebook messages and posts, comments on this blog and been stopped on the beach and in street.
People are amazing.
Wow.
As this journey progresses, I will do my best to research the answers to all your questions, go to the experts and find out even more information.
So feel free to contact me, ask more questions, tell me about your own journeys and share ideas about people who are doing amazing things.
Then I'll write about as many as I can.
Because, while my personal mission is to become a fit, healthy, athlete, I am firstly a writer, so that will be my gift to you all - my words.

Yesterday, I:
Biked about 15km
Walked about 6.5km
Drank 2 cups of coffee
Drank heaps of water
Worked for 1 hour
Ate 3 nutritious meals
Went for 2 swims in the sea (but didn't put any pressure on shoulder!)
Spent time with good friends
Slept, badly, for about 7 hours

Today, I:

Walked for about 30 minutes
Drank 1 cup of coffee
Drank some water (not enough!)
Worked for 3 hours
Ate 3 healthy meals
Went for 1 swim in the sea
Slept well for 8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment