Monday, November 7, 2011

Parallel universes and winding roads

By Virginia Winder
Met my dreamgirl at the aquatic centre tonight.
"I should be saying that, not you," my husband, Warren, says.
He gets the "in your dreams" look and I explain that in the lane next to me was a woman training for the Tauranga half-ironman this coming January.
My dream is that this time next year I'll be like her - sleek, fast and incredibly fit.
As I did my lengths (42 swimming and 10 running), the 32-year-old cruised past me effortlessly and I began to imagine she was me, but in a parallel universe. You see when you're swimming up and down, up and down, it's extremely meditative and your mind expands, probably because of the endolphins.
So there I was pondering quantum physics and possible futures, a bit of time travel thrown in for good measure, when it struck me that all I had to do was clock up day after day after day of training and, in this universe, an overweight, nearly-50-year-old can achieve that elusive dream - a half ironman.
Just to remind you (and me), a half-ironman entails a 2km swim, 90km bike ride and 21.1km run. I can do the swim - I'm there, but terribly slow. So speed is the essence.
The bike ride is a long way off, but there is news on this front, which I'll tell you soon and you're certain to be as blown away as I am.
As for the run, my walking is going well, so I'm hoping I'll be running by the end of the month (toes crossed).
Also, I have to confess I had a bad weekend; one filled with sadness for the loss of a man I greatly admired and my own bleak thoughts. My eating was patchy and I lacked energy and enthusiasm.
Life is not a straight road. It's more like State Highway 45 between Oakura and Okato; up and down and winding.
We all have such times, but on this journey to fitness and health (physical and mental), it's all about starting again and being kind to ourselves and others.
And knowing, always knowing, that no matter how bad things are, they will get better.
If you're feeling awful, please reach out and ask for help.
Someone will always be there to listen and love you.
Please, please choose life.
Today I met a man who has overcome his fear of water and learnt to swim.
That might not sound a big thing if you're a swimmer, but what's your inner nemesis? Just for a second think of the thing you are most scared of facing or doing - it could be spiders, roller coasters or bungy jumping.
Now, I want you to imagine conquering that frightening thing, again and again.
That's mountain-high huge.
There are people all around us doing great things, like a man scared of heights who crossed a swing bridge for the first time. Such bravery.
I pay tribute to the courageous. I honour the gutsy.
And I say: "Good on ya dreamgirl - I'm gonna be you. "

Today, I
Swam 42 lengths of a 50-metre pool
Ran 10 lengths of the pool
Drank not enough water
Drank 3 coffees
Ate extremely healthy food
Worked for 8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment