Thursday, November 24, 2011

Water opens creative floodgates

By Virginia Winder
Water is the answer to many woes - especially writer's block.
For the past week I've been struggling with a piece of work, but tonight, on length No 7, an idea swam into my head. Then another and another until creative thoughts began to stream through my brain as the water flowed past me.
For the next 10 lengths or more, I submerged myself in creative thoughts. It was like a flood gate opened and let my Muse in.
When writing is your craft and career, suffering from severe writer's block is a curse.
It doesn't happen often and any minor blocks can usually be cured with a long shower. That trick hasn't worked all week though.
But in that pool, with the methodical plunge and pull, plunge and pull, breathe, my mind relaxed into a meditative state, all worries disappeared and now, I'm brimming with ideas and ready to write.
Don't ask me why, but water is my conduit. Perhaps that's why I also need a cup of coffee or tea at my elbow when I'm drafting ideas.
Even now I'm sipping on spicy chai in between tapping out these words.
You'll also be pleased to know that I talked to "grumpy man" about his verbal attack on overweight people.
After my written rave, I had a think and realised his mood was out of character.
So I visited him and, as he was about to apologise, I stopped him.
"You upset me the other day," I said, "but then I realised I wasn't a good friend to you. You were obviously upset about something and I didn't take time to listen. I'm sorry about that. Now what was wrong?"
As life would have it, my friend's grumpy mood had nothing to do with me - or the obesity issue. He shared his concerns with me, I listened and then he apologised profusely for his anti-big-people comments.
You see he got to thinking too and realised he had been unfair and unkind.
I forgave him.
We hugged.
All is good with the world.
So often when someone lashes out with thoughtless and angry words, they are only revealing how they feel inside. If your thoughts are poison, that's what flows from you.
I'm not perfect; I get angry too, but I do my best to be kind to everyone in my life.
On my phone, I've written the words: "Speak with a kind heart."
So I do.

Today, I:
Worked for 6 hours
Slept for 8.5 hours
Swam 40 lengths (2km)
Ran 2 lengths in the pool
Ate amazingly nutritious meals
Drank more than 1.5 litres of water
Drank 2 coffees
Drank 1 chai

Yesterday, I:
Tried to work for 8 hours (read major writer's block)
Slept for 7 hours
Went for a 45-minute walk (OK, I was meant to bike but it was windy, wet and getting too dark)
Ate perfectly - no more skipping meals!
Drank 3 coffees
Drank 1 green tea
Drank about 1 litre of water

1 comment:

  1. Hi Virginia,
    Your blog made me think of two things. The first is something I learned during my Playcentre child development studies : "all behaviour is communication". Guess it's true for grown-ups too :) The second is a quote from Kurt Vonnegut : "There's only one rule I know of - goddamn it, you've got to be kind". Good on you Virginia.
    Janine x

    ReplyDelete