Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Time to be the tortoise

By Virginia Winder
Restraint and endurance are my new key words.
These come from Coach Clint, who is doing his best to contain my over-zealous enthusiasm for aerobic training.
Both words are aimed at preventing me from injuring myself, plus endurance will help me build up stamina and muscle condition.
In other words I have to be the tortoise, not the hare, which is a major personality switch for me. 
I did practise restraint today.
My left Achilles tendon is niggling a little, so I refrained from running this evening and instead did a power walk. Or should a say a power dance.
When I have those earphones in, pumping arms and legs like a maniac, I get lost in my own world. I imagine finish lines and passing people, and often, like tonight, I replay concerts.
Tonight I relived last year's Green Day gig in Auckland by walk-dancing to Holiday. Then I pounded the pavement to Resistance by Muse (BDO last year) and got a little bit of rhythm via Michael Franti and Spearhead (Power Station 2009).
Earlier, I swam 40 lengths with my niece, Rebekah.
I felt slow in the pool tonight, but I kept going, pulling through the water saying "endurance" to myself over and over.
Did some tough arm-weight exercises at the gym last night, but don't think I'm ready for those yet.
Coach Clint wants me to stop doing weights until July, when I move on to strength.
Because I've committed to the gym for a year, we've come to an agreement. I need to strengthen my core and do more stretching, so the gym's combined Pilates-yoga class will be ideal for this. I'm also sure I'll head to the gym on bike-training days when it's too windy to be safe outside.
Let me tell you why Clint is worth listening to.
He's been doing triathlons since 1993 and has represented and also captained New Zealand at a couple of World Triathlon Age Group Championships in Lausanne (Switzerland) and Hawaii. His first degree was in physiology and he has lectured PE students.
He's positive and practical, insightful and inspiring, and best of all he understands why trying to be a career woman and dedicated mother didn't leave much time for exercising. Add my ridiculous drive into the mix and you have a recipe for poor physical and mental health, leading to burnout. Hi, I'm Virginia and I'm a workaholic... you know the story.
Anyway, after chatting with Clint today, I feel confident that I will be able to conquer this half-ironwoman race in 13 months' time.
But I have to repeat my new mantra - endurance and restraint, endurance and restraint...

Today, I:
Swam 40 lengths of a 25m pool
Ran four lengths of the pool
Walked 3.6km in 38 minutes (I now have Map My Run ap)
Drank 2 cups of coffee
Had a good breakfast, didn't do so well at a morning tea shout, had a good lunch and healthy dinner.
Worked for 5 hours (see, I am getting balance!!!)
Drank some water, but not enough

No comments:

Post a Comment