Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Help, there's an alien in my instep

By Virginia Winder
The weight's still falling off, but my training has hit a hurdle.
Have injured the instep of my right foot and it hurts to walk. I did it doing step-ups at the gym and it's been getting worse and worse.
It's quite painful most of the time and feels like my foot is constantly cramping. When I put it up, you can see it going into spasms like an alien creature is growing in my instep.
Luckily, it's fine when I'm swimming, but I do get cramp in my feet and my calves when I'm doing lengths.
Have been doing a bit of research (hallelujah for Google) and have found out that cramp in the far-flung bits of my body could be caused by three things:
1. Dehydration. Yes, drinking water has been an ongoing challenge for me. I think I'll need to write notes around the house, saying, "Drink water", "Water is good for me", "Go with the flow - get hydrated", "Time to go for H2O". Sounds like a scene out of Alice in Wonderland - drink me...
2. Lack of vitamins. Apparently, I could have depleted levels of phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium. Will find out what's unbalanced about my diet and how I could be missing some of those vitamins. More Alice - eat me...
3. Overdoing it. It's possible I might not be getting enough rest and recovery. "Restraint," says Coach Clint. I need to nap like Alice and go off for adventures while I'm sleeping... can you get fit dreaming?
Sigh. I'm sitting here with a glum face and pouty lips. I am too impatient for setbacks!
So, I've been forced to slow down, but will focus on my swimming and maybe my biking (will see how I feel), until I'm better.
Yes, and I will make an appointment with the physio - just paused to write the note.
It's late now and I need my rest.
Time to head down the rabbit hole...

Today, I:
Worked for 6 hours (all interviews)
Hosted two radio shows (3 hours)
Slept for 8 hours (fitfully)
Ate moderately well (Warren's away... say no more)
Did no exercise (glum face)
Drank 3 glasses of water (terrible!!!)
Drank 1 cup of coffee (what was I thinking?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment