Friday, December 9, 2011

Time to refocus on swimming, biking

By Virginia Winder
Sometimes life is a pain in the foot.
Yesterday, the physio diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of the tissue underneath my food and arch.
I told her about the sudden pain while doing a step-up at the gym, how it's got worse in the past week and keeps going into spasm. She pushed, poked and prodded, then gave me the PF news.
"You've definitely strained it," she said. "It's quite inflamed."
Tentatively, I asked that dreaded question - how long will it take to mend?
"About 12 weeks," she replied.
"Oh no," I said, thinking of the Tri-Women triathlon I've signed up for in New Plymouth on January 29.
She thinks I could possibly walk it, but didn't sound too hopeful.
The good news is I can swim to my heart's content, without flippers, and I can bike, but at this stage only on the flat, so I might need someone to do the run for me.
As life would have it, the physio has done the swimming section of the Tauranga half-ironman (my 2013 goal), so we talked all about it and she gave me training tips.
When I told her about how I had just started to run, she gave me a website to look up. It's a programme of how to get off the couch and up to running 5kms in nine weeks, hence the name of the site: c25k.
I'm not going to dwell on what I can't do now, but instead focus on what I can - swim, bike and bodysurf.
Summer is here and a sore foot isn't going to hold me back.
The Tasman Sea is calling...

Today, I:
Worked for 8 hours
Slept for 8 hours
Ate three healthy meals
Drank 3 coffees
Drank 2 glasses of pinot gris
Drank some water (got to get over this camel-like hump!)
Did no exercise (food strapped, so am giving it a bit of rest - back into swimming tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment