Saturday, December 17, 2011

Love, health and rock 'n' roll

By Virginia Winder

French daughter: Camille is back in the fold and has already
started swimming training - of her own accord.
A week is a long time in the life of a wannabe triathlete.
Too long - so apologies for no posts, especially to my naggy niece in Perth, who sent me these words: Blog, blog, blog, blog!
The truth is I have been end-of-year tired, had a dozen stories to write and been away to see The Foofighters in Auckland.
It's here that I feel the need to slump and slip into the teen venacular: "Dave Grohl is the shit."
Apologies, but he is a rock star. Totally.
So is Jack Black, the lead singer of Tenacious D, the supporting act on a drizzly night at Western Springs.
Don't ever let bad weather put you off from attending a concert; just wear coats or plastic ponchos and go for it. Two of my top three concerts - REM at the Bowl of Brooklands and now the Foofighters - were in the rain. The other brilliant show was Green Day at Vector Arena last year, but that was under cover.
There is a tentative link between concerts and my triathlon-training regime - even when it's grotty out there, you just need to cover up and get going.
There's nothing like going for a run or walk in the rain by a wild west coast sea, salt spray mingling with rain. It's exhilarating.
Swimming in the rain is also joyous.
Once, my whanau, sister Felicity and I, were bodysurfing at Fitzroy Beach when a massive rainstorm hit. I used to think the smell of a summer downpour came from drops hitting hot tarmac, but that day the sweet almost-chemical smell came from out at sea.
When the huge drops hit, many people fled the water, but we stayed and frolicked in the waves, our heads bent back, mouths open to drink from the sky. It was glorious and I remember being drenched in an eerie yellow light and feeling of great joy.
In Auckland, we also picked up our French daughter, Camille, who was our exchange student in 2006. It's so wonderful having her back in the fold. It feels so right, so normal, like our family is complete. However, it would be even better if our Swiss daughter Jeannie, was here too.
Anyway, on Thursday evening, Camille and I went swimming in the rain at the aquatic centre. At one stage all the lanes in the outside pool were full. "What a hardy bunch we are," I said to a grinning swimmer beside me, obviously feeling just as happy.
So, don't be put off by wet weather - just make sure your towel is under cover and enjoy the pock pock on bare arms as they roll over for another stroke.
I'm not so keen on getting out on the bike in wind or on slippery roads, but there's always the gym for those days.
Now, I have two pieces of good news.
The first is my foot is getting better. It's strapped up and, because of wise words from my rugby coach brother, Mark, I am sleeping with a foot splint on.
When you're in bed, your foot relaxes and heals in that position. The next morning, you wake up, take a step and bang, you're back to square one.
But if you sleep with your foot in the standing position, you won't be re-straining your foot every time you take that first step. The same goes for Achillies tendon injuries.
Luckily, my open-minded physio was most impressed at the moonboot or night-splint idea and readily gave me one to use.
Because of this, and the recuperation regime he emailed through to me, I am exceptionally hopeful of being able to at least walk the 2.5km of the triathlon taster here in New Plymouth on January 29.
Yay!!!
The other great news is that I'm now in double figures. Yes, my weight is now down to 99kg, which means I have lost 21kg. Must say, I am pretty rapt about this, because I'm feeling healthier, fitter, don't puff walking up stairs and have got rid of all the horrible health issues I was struggling with.
The worst was terrible reflux, which I know, from past episodes and tests, is caused by a hiatus hernia. I'm lucky because when my weight is down the hernia disappears.
With it goes the reflux, which is extremely painful and mimics heart pains. It also goes into my back and I don't know what to do with  myself. It's this pain that was part of the catalyst for this quest I'm now on.
If you remember, my wake-up call was sparked by a day spent in the emergency department of the hospital being treated for a possible heart attack. Thankfully it was reflux.
Then came the stern talk from my doctor and my decision not to have a stomach operation, but to change my eating habits and exercise, exercise and exercise.
So, hernia gone, reflux disappeared and any chances of developing diabetes are also heading for the hills.
As well has becoming healthy, I'm morphing into a sportswoman again.
But the best thing of all is the love of people.
My beautiful family and true friends are supporting me 100% and I'm meeting wonderful new people on the way.
Yep, life is good.

This week, I:
Swam 4 times
Went to the gym once
Went to the physio once
Went to the Foofighters concert (and fast-walked a long way to Western Springs and back to car, which hurt my foot, but gosh did I feel fit!)
Worked 25 hours nearly straight through (had a 2.5 hour sleep in-between - bad, bad, bad time management!)
Had two nights of little sleep (7 hours in total)
Discovered I am down to 99kg

1 comment:

  1. Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you're just too fantastic. I really like what you've acquired here, really like what you
    are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise.
    I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous website.
    My site - life insurance

    ReplyDelete