Sunday, December 18, 2011

Taking the high jump for fun

By Virginia Winder
Sometimes it's OK to dive into a bit of fun.
This windy and, at times, wet weekend my exercise has been all about swimming.
Clocked up 30 lengths yesterday and would have done more but ran out of time and was distracted by my teenagers and French daughter. They were playing about in the diving pool and then a bloke swimming next to me headed over to perform a double backwards flip off the top board.
He made it look easy, so I thought I'd jump right in. Then I got out there, teetered on the end of the board, and was overcome with fear.
I walked back to safety.
Standing on the landing, I watched the backflipper do another spectacular display, so this time I walked straight out there, with out thinking and jumped. How easy was that!
Then I executed a few graceful(ish) dives from the low board and got back into the main pool for training.
See how easily distracted I am!
But it was so much fun.
Today, I bought new swimming togs (a one-piece bathing suit) and it was size 18! That's much smaller than the size 24 togs I was wearing and I'm sure I swam much faster today because I was more streamlined. The old togs are baggy and getting holes in them, but a good back up.
Did 42 lengths freestyle today and did walked two more to slowly stretch my calves.
I have been doing a lot more stretching and it feels great, almost like quenching a thirst in my muscles.
My sore foot seems to be getting better, but I'm not pushing it. The night splint isn't working though because I wake up in the morning and it's off. Will have to ask for a moonboot and might ask for a double to help my left achilles at the same time.
May as well make the most of rest time, though I am craving to go for a fast walk with my headphones on.
But as Coach Clint says - restraint, restraint, restraint.
Yeah, and a little patience.
Sigh.

This weekend, I:
Swam 72 lengths (of a 50m pool)
Worked for a few hours only
Had an afternoon nap today
Drank a lot of water
Drank five coffees
Drank two glasses of pinot gris
Ate wonderful, healthy seasonal food - cherries, strawberries, salads, steamed artichoke, asparagus, tomatoes, peaches, blueberries...mmm.
Spent time with friends and family
Decorated the Christmas tree

No comments:

Post a Comment