Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Being mindful helps form new habits

By Virginia Winder
Just over five weeks ago, I was sluggish and unmotivated to exercise.
My life was only about work, long hours and stress.
It's time for another confession here... six weeks ago I spent a day in hospital being monitored for chest pains.
Turns out they were from stress-induced reflux, which is something that happened to me 10 years ago. I thought that was the case, but thought I'd better get checked out. See, sometimes I can be sensible.
Then of course came the appointment with my doctor, which was my tipping point.
My changes came from necessity.
The eating alterations have been easy, but only because I was ready to make them.
These are some of simple changes I have made:
1. I now eat slowly and enjoy every mouthful. There is research that shows that the faster people eat, the more overweight they are.
2. My dinner is now served on a smaller plate than the rest of the family, so my portions are less.
3. The big one is removing temptation. I used to finish the kids' meals or go for seconds - simply because food was sitting there in front of me. Now I get the family to move them out of sight, and yes, out of mind.
4. When I come home from work I used to have crackers and cheese, especially blue cheese. I'd also eat potato chips. This was a bit downfall time for me. Now, I have a wee snack - fruit or a smoothie - to fuel me for exercise.
5. I have cut down on bread. I still eat it and love it, but only have a slice or two, instead of four or five - or more.
6. If I'm in a hurry, especially at lunch time, I choose healthy fast food - not burgers, chips and Coke. Now, it's sushi, salads and sandwiches.
7. To be honest, I don't think much about food when I'm not hungry. But when I do need to eat, I make healthy choices and opt for fresh, unprocessed foods. Also I ask questions - is this good fuel? Will it help my body and mind? Will it energise me?
Don't think I'm an angel. I still have a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend and eat a square or two of dark chocolate most days.
There is absolutely nothing I'm not allowed and, because of that, I don't get into that craving-versus-guilt mind battle.
Once again, remember this - I am not slim yet. Yes, I've lost weight, but I am still medically obese. I have a long way to go.
My goal isn't so much about losing weight and looking slim; it's to be fit, healthy and have a balanced life.
Also, I'm loving the exercise and have a big goal with tangible, achievable ones on the way (thanks Margaret Carr for reminding me of the importance of these).
Lately, I've met some people who are finding my quest inspiring. They also say how it's motivated them in their own lives.
But not everyone.
Some people feel guilty or bad about themselves because of what I'm doing. Please don't. That's ridiculous. You are all beautiful and wonderful the way you are.
Remember, I was you just six weeks ago.
Then I had my health warning, my hospital trip, the hard word from my doctor and so I had to take a different path.
And guess what? I'm loving it!

Today I:
Ate three nutritious, healthy meals
Drank 1 coffee
Drank lots of water
Went to the gym and learnt my new fitness regime
Spent 15 minutes on the exercycle
Slept for 7.5 hours
Worked for 8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment