Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Uphill battles of life and legs

By Virginia Winder
When I was young, I loved hill sprints.
Standing at the bottom of Calvert Rd, a steep hill round the corner from home, I'd psyche myself up and then go for it; pumping my legs and arms as fast as they'd go.
Sometimes I'd put on my spikes and sprint the grassy hills in the school behind our house.
As I powered uphill, I'd hear my Dad's words in my head.
"Go, go, go," he'd yell at the end of our jogs through Pukekura Park and I'd fly around the terraces of the cricket ground.
It was such a joy to push myself so hard, to sweat and feel the energy flowing through my body.
A few decades on, I still love those steep slopes and the feeling of speed.
Tonight I walked up the Morley St hill and it wasn't too hard at all.
Then I did stair sprints.
There's this great set by the old Barrett St hospital, so with Michael Franti singing in my ears, I went up those steps lickety split.
What's so good about doing stair sprints is they don't hurt my Achilles tendon, which is still a bit niggly. Raced up three times, which is a good start, and then headed around and up Churchill Heights.
What's amazing to me is that a few weeks ago, hills took my breath away, but not now.
Workwise, I've had a quiet day, mainly because I had other things planned.
However, didn't even do those because am still feeling down and it's taking its toll a bit.
Don't really want to talk too much about the ups and downs of my life here, but just know there are times when I struggle. Now is one of those times.
Thank goodness for those wonderful exercise endorphins and my wonderful, crazy, funny whanau.

Today, I:
Worked for 1.5 hours
Barely slept (someone was intermittently letting off fireworks - even at 4am!)
Drank 2 cups of coffee
Drank 1 chai latte
Ate 3 great meals - muesli with blueberries, grated apple and Bio-farm yoghurt, a chicken salad and spaghetti bolognaise (small portion) and lots of green salad
Upped my water intake - thanks Irena!

No comments:

Post a Comment