Monday, October 17, 2011

Winder versus the All Blacks

By Virginia Winder
I'm shrinking.
Went to the gym tonight for an appointment with a personal trainer and she was terrific.
This young woman listened to my stupid fears about exercising among others, like how gawky I think I look, and also adjusted my routine to protect my fragile neck.
Did an exercise test and, according to the results, I was average. That's apparently pretty good first up, but am determined to hit the excellent mark.
But the best news came when she measured me.
All over I have lost about 34cm, including 15cm just under my bust! She was blown away, I was blown away, but so encouraged.
Yes is my success meagre compared with last night's victory by the Men In Black?
So pleased I ran to that puddle yesterday - I'm sure that was the entire reason the All Blacks won. It's OK, I'm not deluded or superstitious; I know it was actually my singing the national anthem that did it, with hand on heart, AB flag flying behind like a superhero cape...
Or perhaps Israel Dagg's brilliance, maybe Cory Jane's high catches or the sheer bloody guts of Brad Thorne, Jerome Kaino, Ma'a Nonu and Keven Mealamu. Oh yeah, and I suppose the leadership skills of Piri Weepu and Ritchie McCaw might have had a hand in there somewhere too.
So there you have it - my fitness, weight-loss successes versus New Zealand beating Australia 20-6 in a Rugby World Cup semifinal. Which effort is the most inspiring? The most momentous? The most life-changing?
From my perspective, the answer is simple: All Blacks - you bloody beauties!

Today, I:
Ate three nutritious meals
Snacked on some unroasted nuts and dried cranberries
Drank about six glasses of water
Had two cups of coffee and one chai latte
Went to the gym for a session with a personal trainer
Slept for six hours
Worked for 11.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment