Saturday, October 1, 2011

From Paris to Paris - the big dream

By Virginia Winder
My day began and ended in Paris.
Well almost.
Met a friend at Petit Paris for morning tea and a motivational chat. Another friend, a Kiwi who has been to Paris this year, joined us.
We talked of dreams, songwriting and the peace of this place by the sea.
The other woman, a Frenchwoman from Paris, works at Sport Taranaki.
She talked about tramping on the mountain after work in summer, staying in a hut overnight and getting up early, walking off and heading to work. She inspired me so much I bought tramping boots on the way home.
Now ready to tackle Te Maunga o Taranaki.
My exercise for today was not on land, but in the pool. Swam 50 lengths of the 25-metre indoor pool and am feeling fitter and faster.
Came home and watched Tonga beat France in the Rugby World Cup - allez la rouge!
Then got Skyping.
The first call was to my sister, Felicity, and her husband, Bevin, who are house-sitting in Sydney, near Manly. Go the Warriors!!! Gosh, I'm getting more patriotic by the day!
The second Skype was to Camille, our French daughter, now living in Paris.
Camille was a French exchange student who lived with us for a few months in 2006. We love her dearly.
We also have a Swiss daughter called Jeanette and an Italian daughter called Lucia. We love them too!
Can't show favouritism!
In fact, we often say these young women would probably be great mates if they met each other.
Now, you're probably wondering what on earth this has to do with my quest.
Actually a huge amount.
You see when my doctor suggested I consider stomach reduction surgery, I instantly thought: "I could spend that money on a trip to Paris."
So, along with the goal of losing half my body weight and completing a half-ironman I want to go to Europe to celebrate the year I turn 50. Warren also hits the half-century in 2013, so we've got a double reason to go.
But it's important to have tangible, achievable goals closer at hand. That means the Big Day Out in January 2012, camping at Oakura Beach after that and the triathlon on January 29. Have got my eye on a series of walk/run events this summer and am also considering a mountain summit in a few months' time.
For now, I'm living this moment, training for my life and dreaming of Paris.

Today, I:
Ate three healthy meals
Drank lots of water
Slept for 8 hours
Worked zero hours
Swam 50 lengths of a 25m pool
Spent time with friends and family

No comments:

Post a Comment