Thursday, October 6, 2011

I love my feet with good socks

By Virginia Winder
There's a song by Kiwi musician Shona Laing that all athletes need as their anthem.
"I love my feet," she sings.
For years, I've found myself getting blisters between and under my toes.
But now I have invested in some sports socks that cushion my feet and wow, what a difference they make.
Yes, they are more expensive than the standard fare found in markets, supermarkets and big stores, but to be blister-free after five weeks of walking, well they are worth it.
I've also been cutting my toenails short to prevent rubbing and also been using a vitamin cream to keep my skin supple.
Good running or walking shoes are also a must. My old pair have been relegated to beach-walking so I'm not bothered if they get wet crossing shallow streams. A new pair, bought on sale, are fantastic.
Because I have exceptional pronation, i.e. I go over on my bendy ankles easily, I've also got a pair of tramping boots that are as light as running shoes for park and reserve outings. These were more expensive and a luxury, but will also take me on national park tramps.
All because, yes, take it away, Shona...
"There's a part of my body that can't be beat, I love my feet."

Today, I:
Walked for 50 minutes on a beautiful evening with Warren and met up with friends on the way.
Ate three nutritious low-fat meals, but ate my lunch at breakfast (long story). Had first of the season's asparagus at dinner with baked salmon - yummy!
Slept 8 hours last night
Worked 10 hours
Had a restoring nap at 5pm (wonderful!)
Drank heaps of water
Drank 2 coffees

No comments:

Post a Comment