Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dreaming of marine creature style

By Virginia Winder
Swam next to a dolphin tonight.
There was this young woman who hadn't been in the pool for a few years and she just glided past me, effortlessly.
We met at the end of the pool and I remarked on her speed.
Turns out she only learnt to swim as an adult and discovered she had this exceptional gift, though was incredibly modest about it.
We discussed style and she gave me some tips, including running my thumb up the inside of my body before reaching out for the next stroke.
Have decided that since I will have hours and hours of pool training ahead of me, I'll get some expert advice and a schedule.
This human dolphin was incredibly inspiring. Although I won't be able to grow her size 11 feet, I want to emulate her style so I too can slide through the water like a marine creature.
Before swimming, I went for a 50-minute walk and have moved on from stories to music. That means I'm fit enough to stride out to a fast beat.
Tonight it was Kasbian, an English band I discovered at last year's Big Day Out. Kept imagining myself in the mosh pit for January's BDO, because Kasbian is one of the headline acts! Yay!
Just got the new album,Velociraptor, and it's great.
If my teenagers read this right now, they would say: "Mum you just think you're so cool - and you're not."
Put that in there, just so you know that I live with humbling influences and no, don't think I'm cool. Never, ever!
But determined... oh yes, more than you can ever imagine!

Today, I:
Swam 60 lengths of a 25m pool
Walked for 50 minutes at a fast pace
Ate two healthy meals - I forgot breakfast, so came home for lunch to eat my muesli
Drank a smoothy of half a banana, juice from home-grown oranges and a splash of yoghurt
Slept terribly again (about 4 hours)
Worked for 8 hours
Hung out with whanau

No comments:

Post a Comment