Friday, October 7, 2011

Lane rage and raising funds

By Virginia Winder
You've heard of road rage, well tonight I seethed with the aquatic equivalent.
Let's call it lane rage.
There's an unspoken swimming pool etiquette, similar to the good manners that should be shown on road passing lanes.
Well, I was swimming quite happily at my own pace, when a new woman joined my lane.
Good on her for getting out and exercising - always great to see - but please learn the rules.
She was slower than me, which meant that I lapped her and needed to pass. But when we got to the end of the pool, she didn't stop to let me go in front; she just pushed on.
That meant I had to do a dangerous pass, which could have caused a head-on collision with another swimmer if one joined our lane unnoticed.
Not good for any poor unsuspecting freestyler and certainly not good for me, especially because I have a precarious neck problem that could be seriously damaged through impact.
This failure to giveway happened a few times, until she switched lanes.
I never said anything to her about etiquette, mainly because I didn't want to be aggressive or scare her off from swimming. Perhaps I should have, so she'd understand why I was gently tickling her toes.
Let's get this straight here - I am no speedster. The blokes in the next lane were zipping past me like sharks chasing prey. I'm just a plodder who needs a style overhaul.
Great thing was a good mate joined my lane and I asked her to chase me in sprints. She certainly tickled my toes! We swapped places and I didn't reach her feet. There's always next time...
As a rule, I'm a bit of solo trainer and always have been. I love geting lost in my own thoughts, or better still, emptying my mind.
But I enjoyed doing a spot of training with my fit young friend tonight and last night, it was great walking with a friend and chatting.
In fact, I love the idea of this whole team thing for both training and competing.
So if anyone wants to join my team, JustGot2DoIt, for the January 29 triathlon here in New Plymouth, New Zealand - just do it!
I've registered my team as a fundraiser for breast cancer research too.
You can register of the event by going to Contact TriWoman Series.
Hey, I'm going to get cerise T-shirts printed for people too, but you will have to buy them.
These shirts will be cheap though, cos I only want to cover my costs!

Best of all, my daughter, Clementine, will be creating a beautiful design for the team shirts.
I suppose I'd better tell/ask her...

Today, I:
Ate 3 healthy meals, but it was a bit tough at a barbecue tonight
Swam 62 lengths
Slept 6 hours
Worked for 12 hours
Didn't drink enough water

No comments:

Post a Comment