Sunday, October 9, 2011

Life is just a walk in the park

By Virginia Winder
Avoided the bike again today, but in my defence, the chain needs oiling.
I couldn't find the lubricant, so headed to Pukekura Park and took to the hills.
Took some up-and-down paths off the main track and listened to music in just one ear. With the other I listened to the birdsong.
The music in my earphone was, appropriately, REM. That was one my favourite ever concerts at the TSB Bowl of Brooklands, so could imagine that wonderful night while walking past the outdoor stage.
After that is a peaceful path through bush and a long hill up to the puriri tree that I used to run when I was younger. It was a killer then and still is, but walking is definitely easier.
During my running days with my dad, friend Susan and sometimes my bro, we'd get to the top gasping for breath and have to stop for a minute or two.
The walker in me, just kept right on going today.
Went via the zoo and peered at the monkeys, then through the Kunming Garden where a woman was meditating on the beauty of the place.
Then I meandered, at a fast pace, back down through the park and around the top lake until I saw a cheery bunch of teenagers. It was my son and five mates, and they greeted me with hugs. Cute.
Can't imagine not exercising now and am loving it.
Talked with my friend Susan on the phone today - yes the same running Susan from all those years ago - and we talked ocean swims and triathlons. Have decided I want to take part in events during February, March and April, so watch this space for other race entries.
Have to get ready to watch the All Blacks now - Warren and mates are at Eden Park.
Will drape myself in an AB flag for luck.
GO NZ!

Today, I:
Walked for 1 hour
Worked for 6 hours
Ate extremely well, focusing on fresh, nutritious, unprocessed and protein-packed foods
Drank just 1 coffee
Drank 1 chai
Drank quite a bit of water
Slept for 8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment