Saturday, September 10, 2011

Biking the world - from home

By Virginia Winder
Sharing leads to sharing, especially in regards to get-up-and-go stories.
"Wow, you look amazing," I told a work colleague and friend this week, as I explained about my life-changing health goals.
My revelations led to her own inspiring story, which began as a joint New Year's resolution with her partner.
Together they decided to get on their bikes.
At first she found it tough and wanted to get picked up in the car, but her partner refused, forcing her to slog it out.
She got through her first painful outings, changed her bike seat to a woman's version, and slowly surely, got hooked. Now she thinks nothing of head out for a 50km ride - and more.
Her partner has also returned to his younger cycling days and now has a new zing in his step and greatly improved sleeping patterns.
Things changed when winter set in, bringing dark early evenings and cold, wet weather. Because she works during the day, our woman of wheels became frustrated she couldn't get out pedalling. Then her bloke came up with an idea - the great office journey.
They tracked down a computer programme that enabled them to link up a stationary bike to follow a virtual cycle route.
I'm not sure of all the technical details, but my friend can choose anywhere in the world she wants to bike. Then she programmes in the route, gets on her cycle and pedals.
The computer screen shows incredibly vivid pictures of where she's going and the bike is somehow mechanised to mimic the terrain. So, when there's an uphill climb, she has to pedal harder to get to the top.
So, during winter, she virtually biked all over the world.
I'm now eyeing up my own home office to see if I could emulate her fitness feats during the bleak months.
But for now, my own story is definitely based in reality, out in the open air and on my feet. However, this coming week I aim to add a bike ride and a swimming session or two into the mix.
Yesterday it was damn tough fitting a walk in because when I got home from work all I wanted to do was sit in front of the TV and watch the Rugby World Cup opening festivities.
I did get out though and power-walked around a couple of blocks. Am definitely feeling fitter and I said to my husband, Warren, today: "I feel like I have this natural fitness just below the surface and when I get going, it just appears so easily."
Is it possible that because I was such a Sporty Spice in my youth that my body has a muscle memory of how it should be? Could that be?
Now, crazily, I will reveal a dream.
My Big Hairy Audacious Goal, commonly referred to as a BHAG, is that I want to do a half-ironman triathlon. That's a 2km swim, a 90km bike ride and a 21.1km run.
Yeah, that's huge, which is why I am starting slowly - one step at a time...

Yesterday, I:
Walked for 20 minutes
Ate two healthy meals (I stupidly, didn't take time out for lunch, so ended up stuffing down two small macadamia snack bars - not good)
Slept for 7 hours
Worked for 12.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment