Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Dance of the awkward elephant

By Virginia Winder
Just in case you think I've turned into an athletic goddess overnight, I've got news for you.
Went to my first Dance FX class at the gym tonight and discovered I was seriously out-of-step. The 2011 version of aerobics is a lot more sophisticated and choreographed than the good old side-to-side, back-and-forward steps of old.
As I stumbled, missed moves, failed to twirl-jump or pump parts of my body I vaguely remember using, ever, I yearned for those simple days of sweat bands and lycra.
Instead, I felt like an awkward elephant among a troupe of ballet fairies. But I'll go back, because I'm certain my antics made everybody else in the class feel co-ordinated, fit and in control. Good to support others, eh?
Met a mate at the supermarket the other night and he did the "I should" speech about following my example into fitness, balance and health.
But I told him not to compare himself with me - or anyone.
The truth is everyone has to come to their own moment of change and that can only be self-driven. I have absolutely no interest in making people feel guilty about themselves.
Inspire people yes, but not make them feel bad.
Also, you can't compare yourself with others or you'd never do anything.
Taranaki ultra-distance runner Lisa Tamati is one of my greatest inspirations.
She makes me push myself, because I think: "If Lisa can do this for 24 hours, then I can push myself for one hour."
Another woman who I admire hugely is Irena Brooks, the editor of Live Magazine, because she is everything - a supportive, loving mother, a businesswoman, journalist, encouraging friend and a shining example of fitness. She's completed a half ironman and is my No 1 reason for having a go myself.
My sister, Felicity, who never has never stopped exercising, my nieces, Rebekah, who swims massive distances, and Sarah, who's always seeking new knowledge, are other major influences to help keep me going.
Another woman who has affected me greatly is journalist Michelle Sutton, who survived a serious brain injury and came back better, stronger, more powerful than before. Yeah, she's my Bionic Woman, and one who showed determination and guts on a par with Lisa Tamati. The difference though, was Michelle was fighting to regain her life, mind and body - and she did.
Interestingly, the essence of her, the core of her being, was so strong it was never lost and always shone through and still does.
As for me, my achievement today was a tiny one, but I won't compare.
Well, not really... but I do dream of the day when I'm a ballerina fairy, actually a kick-arse one with attitude, and possibly a sneer.

Today I:
Slept for 7.5 hours
Worked for 8 hours
Ate three delicious nutritious meals
Survived a Dance FX class at the gym

Still need to drink more water!

No comments:

Post a Comment