Thursday, September 8, 2011

Savour every bite

Slow down and taste the muesli.
That's the message from Otago University researchers, who have found that middle-aged women who eat slowly are much less likely to be overweight or obese than those who eat at a faster pace.
In a university press release, study principal investigator Dr Caroline Horwath says the speed of eating directly corelates with a woman's BMI.
“For every one-step increase in a five-step scale ranging from ‘very slow' eating to 'very fast', the women’s BMI increased by 2.8 per cent, which is equivalent to a 1.95 kg weight increase in a woman of average BMI for this group.”
Other studies, have shown that meditation and mindfulness are more helpful than diets. So, once again, the slow-down message is coming loud and clear.
If we take time to enjoy every mouthful of food, to savour the taste, then we will allow ourselves to feel full. We also need to be mindful of what we eat, choosing healthy fuel, not fast food and eating on the run.
The whole slow food movements suddenly makes a lot of sense.
On the work front, I incorporated a garden interview and exercise by doing a story on the beautiful Ratapihipihi reserve. When I came that excrutiating last hill that went on and on, I held in mirth at imagining my mother there. She went for a walk through the native bush and, when facing that seemingly never-ending ascent she cussed at every step. Hah, my darling naughty mother! I so wanted to let out the same expletives but I was on the job.
But it reminded me of the beautiful spots we have around Taranaki and how much more interesting exercise is when exploring different places. I used to run through Ratapihipihi in my younger days and I imagine that it's possible again in the future.
Work's still tough - still have an absurd number of stories to toil through, but oh the stories people tell! Moving, funny, inspiring and some simply wonderful. Wow, I feel lucky.

Yesterday's achievements:
A long walk with a tough hill climb
Worked 9 hours
Slept 6 hours
Ate three good meals - one was a grilled fish salad from our new Mexican takeaway (had no sour cream!)

Points of interest to share:
Daily exercise is achievable, but you have to make time
People who sleep well and for about 8 hours a night are likely to be in control of their weight
Woman who eat slower have a lower BMI

No comments:

Post a Comment