Sunday, September 11, 2011

Circuit not set in concrete

It's time for a change.
After nine days of walking by the sea my left achilles tendon is getting a bit tender.
A few years back one of my heroes, writer and action man Garth Gilmour, told me that constantly walking or running on the concrete ribbon of our beautiful Coastal Walkway will be too jarring and it's important to vary the terrain.
So today, I'm going to do a circuit around Pukekura Park and make certain there are some big hills in there, which is pretty easy when you go off the main track.
Stretching is the other important thing, so will do be adding that in from today too.
Yesterday was a relaxing day.
Went to The Most for my morning radio slot with Warren (my bloke) to talk about Puke Ariki, which for those of you not in the know, is New Plymouth's joint museum, library and information centre. It's fantastic and where I go for heaps of information. Now that I'm not working at Puke Ariki, Warren and I are doing this as volunteers. He already does the Kiwiana Show from 8 to 10pm on Tuesdays.
But I digress...
Just chilled out yesterday and even had an afternoon nap, which is one of my favourite things to do.
Then went to a dear friend's birthday party beside the sea. There were so many wonderful people there and we talked, shared and I learnt a little about ayurvedic medicine from a woman, who also talked about eating for your blood type.
I'm open minded about things, but always skeptical. That's not the same as cynical, which I always imagine as sneering and closed-minded. But I always ask questions about whether things really work and like to do my own investigations, so am going to look into both.
As a kid there were foods I had a real aversion to - I hated bacon, cheese, roast beef, steak.
But I loved fish, chicken, milk, fruit yoghurt and eggs. I also adored fresh fruit and parsley. Do we as children have an inbuilt knowledge of what's good for us and what our body needs?
At the party there was a pile of food that I would normally scoff - cheeses, breads, chips and gorgeous stuff. I had not the slightest inclination to eat it and so I didn't.
Don't worry, I'm not developing a food problem, but it's like a switch has gone off in my head and I simply have no cravings or desires for extra food. My three healthy meals a day are filling me up.
Just before it got dark, I said goodbye to my friends, got changed into my walking gear and headed off home on the walkway, my audio book playing, the sea swaying like a hula dancer and people smiling "hi" in the dusk as they passed.
I have begun to find serenity in these moments.

Yesterday, I:
Walked for 40 minutes
Ate three wonderfully healthy meals
Rested
Didn't work!
Spent time with friends
Hung out my husband
Slept for 9 hours

1 comment: