Monday, September 26, 2011

Inner Athlete versus Wheedle Voice

By Virginia Winder
Everything hurts.
My ankles, Achilles, back, shoulders, neck and yeah, my buttocks.
While I feel like heading off for a spa or perhaps a tropical island, I know that working out is good for me. Yes, it is!
You see this little wheedling voice in my head is starting to argue with the inner athlete.
"You can't do it," it whines.
"You're too old," it taunts.
"You're dreaming," it laughs.
But the Inner Athlete is stronger (she's in there and remembers those golden days of youth).
"Go away," she commands.
The wheedling quietens, for now.
So, as you can see, there's a mind fight going on.
But my powerful memories of being a fit athlete can out last, out distance and completely stamp out the Wheedle Voice.
Will keep you updated on how that battle's going on.
Anyway, today I got taught some gym aerobic exercise and did 10 minutes on the bike and 5 minutes on the rowing machine. So 15 minutes of hard slog, which made me realise how far I have to go!
Hours and hours of training ahead of me.
Luckily I love it.
OK, so I'm convincing myself that I love it. That exercise high is uplifting and I am getting fitter by the day.
Also went for a brisk walk and then another up to the rugby to see Wales wallop Namibia 81-7.
Now it's time out... True Blood beckons.

Today, I:
Exercised for only 15 minutes at the gym (it was an induction)
Walked for 30 minutes
Worked for 8 hours
Slept for 6 hours
Ate extremely well - 3 healthy meals
Drank lots of water

No comments:

Post a Comment