Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Taking the plunge

By Virginia Winder
Finally took the plunge tonight, but was oh so slow.
It's been months since I swam lengths' freestyle and oh, did those first 10 lengths hurt.
Kept going though and made it to 22 lengths of the 25-metre indoor pool at the New Plymouth Aquatic Centre. It was a start.
The swim for a half ironman is 2km, so need to nearly quadruple my number of lengths. Will start slowly and build up.
It's been nearly two weeks since I started my quest for a healthy lifestyle and it's like a switch has turned on. Can't imagine not exercising, but have had a few cravings for chocolate!
Haven't eaten any, mainly because there's none in the house.
But if there was, I'd definitely have a couple of squares and not feel guilty. I know that my new mindset simply won't allow me to binge.
The determination inside me is exactly the same as when Warren, Nelson and I swam in the sea every day in 2009. When we finally stopped (me because I had a double ear infection), I felt empty, like there was something missing from my life.
There was of course - daily dips in the energy-boosting sea. Wow, that was a wonderful year. We lived by the tides and were so tuned into nature.
This time I'm getting in tune with my body and mind. Incredibly, I'm even starting to relax big time.
A friend looked into my face today and said: "Virginia, you are looking so peaceful!"
Hey, but it's only been two days since I was furious at myself for missing the rugby because of work, so this is no instant fix.
But am finding this exercise lark totally brilliant!

Today, I:
Swam 22 lengths of a 25m pool
Ate three extremely healthy meals
Slept for 8.5 hours
Worked for 8.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment