Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Knife or a New Life

When my doctor suggested that stomach surgery might be the best option for my ongoing weight problem I was tipped over the edge.
You know how we all teeter on the edge of making huge life decisions, well that was my moment. "It's pretty expensive," she said.
Then she checked my BMI.
For those of you not in the know, that stands for Body Mass Index, which is determined by your weight in kilograms divided by your height (in metres) squared. A healthy BMI score is between 18.5 and 26.
Mine was 41.
"You need to lose half your body weight," the doctor said.
I nodded, enthusiastically, telling her that with less work, more exercise and being better with my food that I would do it, could do it.
"I don't want to be cynical Virginia, but we've been here before."
She talked about my A-type personality (must look that one up) and how I've sat in her surgery many times before vowing to make changes, especially in regards to cutting back on work.
Then she turned back to the subject of stomach surgery.
A friend had it done a few months back and has lost masses of weight. She's looking great, but she also paid a large amount of money and is absolutely dedicated to being half the woman she was. But she doesn't like exercise.
I love it.
Honestly (you'll only read that here), I love striding out on the beautiful coastal walkway around New Plymouth's foreshore or walking through Pukekura Park or the bush tracks in our city. I love swimming, biking and my greatest joy is bodysurfing.
But I also love food - cheese, chocolate, creamy curries and yes, even burgers and chips.
Even more importantly, I love work.
It's here that I have to say these words: "Hi, my name is Virginia and I'm a workaholic."
People praise you for working hard, comment on your wonderful work ethic, thank you for jobs well done.
But it is work that is killing me.
Today was a quiet day - I only worked 10.5 hours, but there have been days lately that I have worked up to 17 hours and a regular day has been 14 hours straight. Once I worked through the night to meet a deadline.
Try adding exercise on to that kind of working day, or family time, friend time or simply quiet time. There is no time.
And so here I am facing stomach surgery or completely changing my life.
In 2009, my teenage son made a New Year's resolution to swim in the sea every day for a year. My husband and I joined his pledge and we did it. There was absolutely no out clause, only a get-up-and-go cause to succeed.
To ensure that we would do it, I mentioned it an article published in the Taranaki Daily News. That story, which was on resolutions, referred to research that says women are far more likely to stick to a resolution if they go public with it. So that's what I am doing by writing this blog. I also hope to share what I learn on the way, plus my successes and, yes, my failures.
All this, because I have decided to avoid the knife and regain a healthy life.
This is day one.

Today I have:
Worked only 10.5 hours.
Eaten three healthy meals and no snacks.
Gone for a 20-minute walk with my husband.
Hung out with the family for the evening.
Written this blog.



1 comment:

  1. Hi ya. Took out my comment as it sounded a bit negative and didn't want to put that vibe on your venture! All the best my friend!

    ReplyDelete