Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pedalling towards first goal

By Virginia Winder
Got on the Pink Petal today and biked from home to East End and back.
According to my daughter's "Map My Run" app on her phone, that's about 7km (4.3 miles).
Took to the Coastal Walkway, which was a bit nerve-wracking because of the number of people using it.
I'm not so confident on the bike yet, but know that will come with lots of rides. Feel bad though because I accidentally hit the back of a walker's heel on a narrow part of the walkway. I apologised and checked to see if she was OK and she nodded, yes, but was a little grumpy. I don't blame her.
During the ride, I felt my thighs working hard and had that heavy feeling in my legs when I got off the bike.
This evening, I registered for the Contact TriWoman Series race in New Plymouth on January 29. It entails a 300m swim, a 9km bike and a 3km run or walk. I'm hoping that by then I'll be running. It's great to have a first goal to aim for.
To help me, I'm thinking of joining a gym. Checked one out yesterday and will probably sign up. I used to love aerobics and there's a version of that available, along with spin classes, boxing and yoga. Before I commit though, I will look at other gym offers and memberships.
Day by day, I'm getting even more committed to being fit and healthy, having a good work-life balance and being peaceful.
The exercise is hard, but damn satisfying and that time out on the bike, in the pool or pounding the streets is thinking time, dreaming time or listening time. But most of all, it's time out.
When I'm fitter, it could also become a social time if I join a group to train with.
Also went to the Puke Ariki library to get out a book on sport nutrition and also borrowed a whole bunch of triathlon magazines. I'm such an information geek!
But as a fledgling in this area, I want to make wise choices and learn on the way.

Today, I:
Biked 7kg
Drank lots of water
Worked for 4 hours (inspiring interviews)
Ate three incredibly healthy meals
Turned down beautiful home-baking, because I was full!
Entered the Contact TriWoman Series race in New Plymouth
Hung out with my family

No comments:

Post a Comment