Monday, September 19, 2011

Meadsville, war and more - a journey

By Virginia Winder
Today has been about love and war, totara and Pinetree, nerves and shocks.
Drove to Cambridge for a nerve-conductor test to find out why some of the fingers on my left hand and my forearm are numb.
On the way Warren and I listened to Darkness, Be My Friend, the fourth book of the Tomorrow When The War Began series by John Marsden. It's gripping, scary and too possible. Made me look out at the landscape and imagine where we could hide from enemy invaders.
Had the tests and I can confirm that I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome. That's all I will say on this matter, except I found the shocks given to stimulate my nerves quite fascinating in an "I'm not scared of that electric fence" sort of way.
Afterwards, we met an old school friend for lunch and shared feelings, ideas and laughter. We also caught up on news of mutual friends and I left feeling reconnected and happy.
Driving home we noticed something pretty special at the crash site in Otorohanga - a second golden totara has been planted next the one we dug in for Dad. The pohutukawa we put in for Mum didn't survive, so it's wonderful to see a second totara placed there. Brought tears to my eyes.
Also heading home, we couldn't resist the tantalising signs heading into Te Kuiti or should I say Meadsville. I'm not certain what Colin and Stan Meads think, but some bright spark has come up with the idea of turning the whole town into a shrine for the Meads men.
Have to say though, that it's Sir Colin who's more in the spotlight.
Businesses around the town have changed their names to reflect the Meads mania and there's an outdoor gallery featuring extremely large pictures of the rugby legend/s. Beneath these are, fittingly, mass plantings of baby pinetrees.
It's wonderful to see an entire town get behind a living treasure for the Rugby World Cup. Well, I presume it's just for the Cup or has there been a minor coup in Te Kuiti?
As for exercise, spent most of the day in the car (or perusing Meadsville), so came home and went for a quick trot around the block.
Also returned to bad news about a friend's health, which made me realise that in the scheme of things my numbness is nothing. When someone is sick, you need to focus on their needs, send endless love and positivity, and not let your own grief be a burden on them. Damn hard sometimes, but not as tough as facing a life-threatening disease.
When you finish reading this, go and give someone you love a big hug.
Off you go...

Today, I:
Worked for 5.5 hours (OK, so I got up at 2am)
Walked around the block (in the dark and rain)
Connected with an old and dear friend
Shared positive thoughts with another friend
Ate a healthy breakfast, a bitsy lunch in two parts (mostly salad) and a delicious smoked salmon salad for dinner
Drank way too much coffee (5 cups!)

1 comment:

  1. I love this Virginia!I really respect you for sharing this!Sending you buckets of good thoughts and support for your journey!

    ReplyDelete