Saturday, September 24, 2011

Friends, supporters and All Blacks - a love story

By Virginia Winder
Yay the All Blacks!
Some people have been moaning about the Rugby World Cup, but not me.
I love it, especially when the Men in Black win games like tonight's clash with the French. The final score was 37-17. Allez le noir!
Captain Richie McCaw just played his 100th test for the All Blacks - the first to do so.
My feats today were miniscule in comparison.
Biked to town and back and it was so easy - on the way there.
It was a bonus not having to pay parking fees, but the wee hills on the way home were a tad tough. Haven't mastered my gears yet and don't feel particularly confident on the roads, but still it was a great feeling of freedom using self-powered transport.
Wore a bright orange hoodie and a colourful backpack, so at least I was highly visible.
Went to the supermarket later on and met two woman who were extremely encouraging about my quest for health, fitness and life balance. Both said they are reading my blog.
Even better, more women are considering joining me in the Tri-Women triathlon on January 29. Rebekah, Cheryl, Chrissy... I'm outing you.
Met another woman on a similar quest to me and she is doing fantastically! It's so inspiring hearing other people's stories.
One mate has come up with some great book recommendations - Younger Next Year: A Guide to living like 50 Until You’re 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge. I've read a lot of this and these men pull no punches. The upshot is that you have to trick your body into believing it's still growing, rather than decaying and the only way you can do that is by exercising six times a week (four aerobic and two strength).
My friend also says Body For Life by Bill Phillips is a great read.
Went for a 40-minute walk tonight too and am now tackling hills. Strangely, it's going downhill that I find most difficult.
Have had an up and down food day.
For breakfast I had a raspberry brioche from Petit Paris and a coffee. I was still out at lunchtime so went to another cafe with my daughter, niece and mate. I ordered an open chicken sandwich and when it came the meat was fried, like KFC. Barely ate any of that.
But for dinner, Warren (my live-in nutritionist) created an incredible salad topped with scallops. His meals are so healthy and delicious, he's soon going to start the Just Got 2 Do It! recipe blog.
That's it for tonight - have I mentioned I love the All Blacks?!

Today, I:
Biked 2km
Walked for 40 mins
Ate one healthy meal
Drank lots of water
Didn't work at all
Hung out with my niece, daughter and best mate
Got heaps of support from people
Watched the All Blacks beat France!

No comments:

Post a Comment